Wednesday 15 July 2009

Carrying things

The kind people at the agency got me some work with a removal company today. This involved moving a whole family's belongings, including all their furniture, up several flights of stairs. The people themselves were very friendly and it was a pleasure to help them out. The job itself was one of the most grueling days I've ever had, but I'm sticking to the fact that I need to do anything I can to get me some money.

Having been kept up for a second night with severe toothache, I felt like pulling off my head and drop-kicking it out the window. Not the best start to the day. Still, the aforementioned prospect of carrying heavy things for a few hours actually seemed quite appealing; anything to take my mind off the tooth pain. The other removal guys were good to work with, each of them grafting as hard as the other. It's always good when the other workers pull their weight. There's nothing worse than a member of a team sitting around while all the work is done.

It became a test of stamina towards the end of the six hours, as three of us were left there to complete the job and all of us were feeling the pain. It being a warm day n' all, we were all soaked head-to-toe in sweat and refused to quit even when we all found it hard to stand, let alone carry more boxes. We must have each carried items up the six flights of stairs 200 times. One more box... One more box... Sheesh. I've never appreciated tea breaks quite as much as today.

Any given day I could be doing camerawork, editing, delivery work, retail, or anything else the agency has to offer. And I'm also training to be a driving instructor, which will become my staple income when I'm qualified. I'm lucky having such a varied work life. It's far easier for me to put every effort into a job knowing that the next job will be completely different.

Making a point of doing manual work that makes you sweat negates the need to go to the gym. It's a full body work out carrying heavy things around, especially up stairs. It's a nice change to do that kind of work sometimes, but doing it every day must be a true test of strength, stamina and patience. I'm happy to work with the same guys again if they offer more work. And, hopefully, next time I won't have to take my mind off this gosh darn toothache!
.

No comments: